Friday 4 August 2006

Lake Albert

I went out for a bike ride today- a long, at times rather difficult but ultimately fulfilling ride. Apart from the fact that I needed the exercise, the bike ride was necessary to release some of the pent-up energy from two weeks of absolutely minimal physical activity.

I decided to ride out to Lake Albert to see if it had any water. Some of the locals were saying that last time they went out there, in the middle of summer, there was no water in the lake at all and there was talk of developing the land. So I wasnt sure that I would see any water today but was determined to go there if only to do some cycling.

The first 15-20 minutes was all at a slight incline, the sort that makes you work but doesnt drain energy too quickly. That was fine I suppose until I had to take a left turn and the road suddenly steepened. Now I was really working and wondering whether I should just turn back and head to the botanical gardens. But I persisted for a few more minutes hoping for some softening of the gradient. Instead I came upon a steep ridge that I didnt think I could climb. But in a moment of unexpected adventurousness, I decided to shift down to 1st gear and ride off the saddle. Within an agonizing minute, I found myself atop the ridge with my heart racing at some ridiculously high rate and threatening to burst out of my chest, so forcefully could I feel the contractions. The view from the top was worth it, even though it took a few minutes of rest and half a litre of water before I could appreciate it. The gentle rolling hills (not so gentle if you try to climb them on a bicycle) in the background encircled Lake Albert, sprakling in the evening sun. Enough of the lake was hidden by greenery to suggest that it would be a pleasant ride through some wooded country to reach the lake from this spot.

As it turned out, most of the way I was passing through newly built suburbs, with freshly constructed houses and recently planted trees (hence the greenery). The road was now thankfully near-flat making it a gentle ride into the surrounds of Lake Albert. The Lake itself is fairly large and full considering the dryness of central New South Wales. The sparkling blue water is actually brown on closer inspection. At some angles from the track that circumambulates the lake, the water appears as alternating bands of blue and brown; a bizarre effect that I have never seen before. Sure, Sydney Harbour looks blue from afar and green close-up, but its not quite the same as this.....

After finding a suitable spot, I hopped off the bike to do some stretching. My legs were comfortably sore and I had a thin film of sweat covering my body; mmmmm, that feeling of much needed exercise....I then decided to sit on a tree and continue reading Lipika (this book is so good that it deserves a post of its own once I finish reading it). After a few minutes, some schoolgirls passed by, trying hard to stifle their giggles. I'm not sure whats so funny about a person sitting on a tree reading a book but obviously that doesnt happen often round these parts. They eventually worked up the courage to say hello and waved as walked past.

As the sun descended closer to the horizon I decided to head back, the long way. I would like to say that I took this option to explore more of Wagga, but the reality is that I didnt know if I could climb that hill a second time. The "long way back" proved to be a delightful high gear cruise through open country. I love cruising on flat ground because it allows me to get into a cycling rhythm and really enjoy the scenery. I love cutting through the fresh air with warm sunlight on my arms and clear blue sky merging with the grey-green of the drought-stricken countryside. I love riding a bicycle!!!

2 comments:

flygirl said...

sounds good! you would love canberra, excellent for cycling and bushwalking.

Mahesh said...

mmmm i know- i've been to canberra a few times though i havent cycled or gone bushwalking there....